Monday, December 28, 2009

The New Bachelorettes

So the new bachelorettes have been announced. There actually isn't a whole lot of info on them other than what we can already see on the ABC.com web site. Let me break it down for you:

The youngest ones are 23 and the oldest ones are 31 and 32 (Jake is 31, so obviously he's more into the *ahem* "younger" ladies. Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

The women represent a whole host of professions, but it's interesting to note that several of them are jobs where you don't need to use much intelligence. From the little we got to see of him last season, Jake doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed, so this might be a good fit for him. And by the way, I'm not judging anyone's career or life choices. I'm just making the observation that these jobs don't necessarily require a lot of book smarts. He gets to choose from four different models (one of them a swimsuit model), an NBA dancer, a waitress, a hair stylist, and a make-up artist. On the flip side, there are two pilots (Jake is a commercial pilot too), two teachers, a mortgage loan officer, and an advertising executive.

Then there are those jobs that the show seems to love. You know...the ones with titles so general that you know they are making something up to make the job seem better than it really is. One woman is listed as an "entrepreneur". That could mean she started her own multi-million dollar corporation or that she turns tricks in her guest room on the weekend for extra cash. Who knows? Another is listed as a "cosmetics sales manager". This could mean that she oversees cosmetics accounts throughout the United States or that she oversees the fragrance counter at JC Penney. We just don't know. One woman's job is listed as "College Admissions", and I am interested to hear what college that is -- Stanford? Princeton? Bruno's College of Hair Design and Mixology? The world waits on pins and needles to find out.

It's interesting to see where these women are from too. They really come from all over the map. Two are from Canada, but all the rest are homegrown right here in the States. There are two women local to me -- Santa Rosa and San Francisco (although the woman from Santa Rosa looks to be a person of color, and so we all know she won't get very far. Sad fact of The Bachelor is that with the exception of Mary, the fiery Latina from Byron's season -- who was arrested for beating him up -- women of color fare poorly on this show. So I'm not holding out a lot of hope for the hometown girl.) Lots of women have a small Midwestern or Southern town listed as their hometown, but Los Angeles listed as their current city of residence. This shows me that the show went to talent agencies and casting directors in L.A. to get a lot of the women. I think this explains the lack of book smarts and the plethora of T & A. What is The Bachelor without a little T & A, right?

We have two Elizabeths and two Ashleys (although one spells it Ashleigh), some more exotic names like Gia, Tiana (which, by the way, is the name of the princess in the new Disney movie), and Channy. Don't get me started on Channy. If she lasts on the show, I'm sure I will have plenty to say about that.

Lastly, I checked out all the ladies' pictures and saw that almost every single one of them has the exact same pose and hairstyle. Lots of long waves and curls. Lots of overdone, non-subtle makeup -- just the way the show likes it. It's actually pretty tough to distinguish most of them just from their pictures. They all start to look alike. I'm sure once we see them "live" that will work itself out.

So have you all checked out the new bachelorettes? What did you think? Let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I have posted at least 3 times here- don't know why it won't "stick!"

    Maybe my computer issues? Gosh, where is Troy when you really need him to help you?

    Kidding. Billy also tried to post and he was amazed at how observant Alec is with Chirs H's weight and new duds.

    Go Ali go- I really hope she does not break my heart over the next few episodes. I feel like there could be a HUGE twist because I like her so much!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete